So You Want to Write A Novel • Course 126
7 Jan - 10 Mar 2016 @ the Lucas Arms, London WC1, UK
245A Gray’s Inn Road
London WC1X 8QZ
Date: Thursdays, 7 January - 10 March 2016
Time: 6.45PM - 9.15PM
Tube: Kings Cross
Cost: £370 for 10 weeks' tuition. Drop-in: £42 per session
What kind of novelist are you? What sort of book do you dream of writing? Have you found your subject matter? If you have not written before, how do you begin? This 10-week short course recommended by Time Out will consist of lectures, timed exercises, homework and readings that will give you the confidence to develop your ideas on paper. The sessions will include:
- techniques to start writing a novel
- advice on how to arrange and expand material for a new novel or one that is already in progress
- create new work during the workshop that feeds into your manuscript
- homework to keep your manuscript moving (voluntary)
- constructive feedback on how your manuscript can be improved
The course is a series of modules that are self-contained. Topics and the weeks they are covered are:
- Week 1 (07 Jan): "Getting Started"
- Week 2 (14 Jan): "Characterisation"
- Week 3 (21 Jan): "Point of View"
- Week 4 (28 Jan): "Setting"
- Week 5 (04 Feb): "Plotting and Shaping"
- Week 6 (11 Feb): "Editing"
- Week 7 (18 Feb): explores more deeply into topics covered in Weeks 2 - 3
- Week 8 (25 Feb): goes more deeply into subjects covered in Weeks 4 - 6
- Week 9 (03 Mar): Showcase night to give students the opportunity to receive feedback on their novels
- Week 10 (10 Mar): Showcase night to give students the opportunity to receive feedback on their novels
The workshops will be conducted in a friendly, constructive atmosphere and are open to anyone with a desire to write, from beginners to publlished novelists.
7 January, 14 January, 21 January, 28 January, 4 February, 11 February, 18 February, 25 February,
3 March and 10 March.
If you are unable to do the whole course or would like to sample it you can attend on a drop-in basis, however priority will be given to those who book for the whole course. The cost per session is £42 and must be pre-paid. Please email or phone beforehand to ensure a place will be available.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Bound notebook, pen & a spare
WHAT YOU CAN DO NEXT
After completing this course, you can continue to add to your manuscript with "Creative Writing: Fact or Fiction" which begins in March. You could also attend the writing retreat in Catalonia in June.
Online: To book classes from this course use the Pay Now button below. You will have an option to adjust the quantity to book several classes with one purchase. Please email us to let us know which days to expect you. Bank transfer: To book by bank transfer, call us for bank account details. By post: Cheques can be sent to us at this address. Please read our Terms & Conditions here.
In April 2007 this course was chosen by Time Out as their "Best by day" in the Around Town section.